SimplePractice is the most popular and fastest growing practice management system for mental health providers. The company has over 60,000 customers, and is our top overall mental health practice management system.
However, before making your purchase, it's best to understand how SimplePractice compares to its top alternatives. We share SimplePractice's top competitors below, along with a detailed look at their features and pricing. To fully understand SimplePractice, you can also read our in-depth SimplePractice review.
Table of Contents
- SimplePractice Features
- SimplePractice Competitor Overview: Pricing & Features
- Top SimplePractice Alternatives
- Bottom Line
The SimplePractice platform has numerous tools that make it easier to manage your practice. The seven most important features that SimplePractice offers are described in the table below.
|Client Intake||SimplePractice offers paperless client intake to streamline the onboarding of new patients.|
|Scheduling||SimplePractice includes a digital calendar – in addition, patients can schedule appointments online.|
|Client Portal||SimplePractice includes a client portal where patients can receive alerts, send messages, add info and make payments.|
|Plans & Notes||SimplePractice comes with different options for treatment plans and notes, including free access to Wiley Planners.|
|Billing & Invoicing||SimplePractice streamlines your billing and invoicing processes to capture more revenue.|
|Telehealth||SimplePractice offers a telehealth solution that you can use for HIPAA compliant video sessions.|
|Mobile Application||SimplePractice offers a mobile app for you, and one that your clients can use for telehealth appointments.|
SimplePractice Competitor Overview: Pricing & Features
SimplePractice is the largest and fastest growing mental health practice management solution. The company has grown so quickly because it offers a very robust product at a competitive price.
SimplePractice pricing starts at $39 per month for a single clinician. The company also offers a $59 per month plan that includes additional features such as online appointment booking, custom note templates and telehealth. SimplePractice's competitors are priced similarly. The only company that offers a significantly cheaper plan is TherapyAppointment – it's entry plan costs $10 per month for up to 10 appointments.
In terms of features, SimplePractice is the most robust platform in the market. It includes nearly all features found in competitors, and is often the first to launch new features. An example was the launch of SimplePractice telehealth in March 2020. The only tool not found in SimplePractice is the ability to e-prescribe controlled substances in all 50 states.
The major factor that sets SimplePractice apart from the competition is the application's intuitive design. Workflows such as client onboarding are easy to learn and streamlined to save you time. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about many of its competitors.
There are dozens of software tools built for the behavioral health industry. Below, we've listed the six SimplePractice alternatives that you should consider. Each solution is ranked by its features, pricing, and usability.
The top SimplePractice alternatives are:
TheraNest is the best alternative to SimplePractice. It offers a similar set of features for roughly the same price. The biggest difference between the two solutions is their pricing models. SimplePractice charges per clinician, TheraNest charges per active client. We recommend testing both solutions to see which you prefer.
You can also read our full breakdown of SimplePractice vs. TheraNest.
- You want to pay based upon the number of clinicians using the software
- You want a solution with eligibility requests
- You prefer the SimplePractice interface
- You want to pay based upon your number of active clients
- You want phone-based customer support
- You prefer the look and feel of TheraNest
Luminello is a top SimplePractice competitor that is built specifically for psychiatrists. It's a well designed, easy to use platform, and is the only product in this list that can be used to e-prescribe controlled substances in all 50 states. Luminello also offers a basic free plan that can be used for up to 30 notes per month.
- You value having a mobile app for your team and your patients
- You use Wiley Treatment Planners
- You want to save $30 per month
- You're a psychiatrist that prescribes controlled substances
- You can use the free plan with less than 30 notes per month
- You'll use it to create a free public profile
TherapyNotes is another popular mental health practice management solution. It offers all the core features that you need to manage your practice. Overall, we found TherapyNotes to have a less intuitive interface and less robust functionality compared to SimplePractice.
You can also read our full breakdown of SimplePractice vs. TherapyNotes.
- You value a more robust client portal
- You want customizable intake forms, assessments, & treatment plans
- You want to save money through free appointment reminders, ERAs and cheaper coverage reports
- You prefer the plans and notes offered by TherapyNotes
- You prefer the look and feel of TherapyNotes
IntakeQ started as a software tool for paperless client intake. Over time, the company has developed more of the features found in practice management systems. If you're a smaller, cash-based practice, we recommend evaluating IntakeQ.
- You want a fully-featured practice management system
- You want to save $10 per month
- You prefer a more tested, mature solution
- You need a solution specifically for digital forms
- You really want to optimize client intake
- You are a smaller, cash-based practice
Mend is a strong solution for practices that have a high volume of telemedicine. It includes advanced features such as group appointments that are not found in SimplePractice.
- You want a more traditional practice management system
- Your appointments are primarily in person
- You want a system that integrates practice management and EHRs
- All of your appointments are conducted through telemedicine
- You need to do group teletherapy sessions
- You have complex team workflows
TherapyAppointment is a basic mental health practice management system. The company recently released a new version of its software with major design improvements. However, unless you plan to purchase TherapyAppointment's $10 per month plan, we recommend SimplePractice.
You can also read our full breakdown of SimplePractice vs. TherapyAppointment.
- You have more than 10 appointments per month
- You want an application that is easier to navigate
- You want clients to have the ability to schedule and reschedule appointments
- You are a new or part-time practices with 10 or less appointments per month
- You prefer the look and feel of TherapyAppointment
SimplePractice has grown to serve over 60,000 customers. It is the most advanced and affordable mental health practice management system available today.
The strongest competitor to SimplePractice is TheraNest, which we recommend evaluating to determine the best practice management system for you. The biggest difference between these two tools is their pricing model. If you operate a new or smaller practice, TherapyAppointment's $10 entry plan is worth evaluating. Finally, if you use telehealth for the majority of your sessions, consider Mend.