The information in this article is based on our research, interviews with customers, as well as dozens of hours hand-testing PDF editor software. The details of our review process and research methodology can be found in the Why You Should Trust Us section on our PDF editor category page.
PDF Expert is an intermediate PDF editor platform. We recommend it to those who prefer a mid-level solution for personal use and have a small budget.
There are four PDF editor solutions that are worth considering before you purchase PDF Expert. They primarily differentiate based on the features offered and ease of use. Understanding these differences will help you determine which platform will work best for your business.
- If you prefer an advanced, all-in-one PDF editor and also use other Adobe products like Adobe Sign and Adobe Scan, then we recommend Adobe Acrobat
- If you need a solution with a wide range of review and annotation tools, currently use signNow, and have a larger budget, then we recommend pdfFiller
- If you need a semi-robust platform that is priced reasonably for those who want to long-term invest, then we recommend PDFelement
- If you need a beginner platform and have a smaller budget, then we recommend Smallpdf
Here’s a breakdown of our review criteria. We rate each piece of software based on its features, usability, pricing, and customer support availability. Here is how PDF Expert and its competitors rank in each category.
|Software Company||Analyst Rating||Features||Usability||Pricing||Customer Support|
|Adobe Acrobat Pro DC||91||9.5||9.5||8||9|
In this article, we’ll provide an overview of PDF Expert as a PDF editor platform. Afterwards, we’ll compare and contrast PDF Expert against its top competitors. If you’d like a full description of PDF Expert, check out our in-depth PDF Expert review.
Table of Contents
- PDF Expert's Top Features
- PDF Expert Competitor Overview: Features
- PDF Expert Competitor Overview: Pricing
- Top PDF Expert Competitors
- Bottom Line
PDF Expert Top Features
PDF Expert offers standard and advanced features that help individuals, SMBs, and enterprises create, edit, review, and overall manage their PDFs. This includes tools for PDF creation and conversion, content editing, and PDF review and annotation. Below we describe the 13 most important features in PDF Expert.
|PDF Expert Feature||Description|
|PDF Creation||PDF Expert offers multiple methods for creating a PDF. You can create PDFs from scratch and from a variety of file types – including Word documents, JPEGs, and PNGs. PDF Expert also lets you merge multiple PDFs into one.|
|Text Editing||It’s important that your PDF editor can accommodate your text needs. PDF Expert lets you change the font, color, size, and typographical emphasis of your text. PDF Expert also only lets you resize your text box from the left or right side.|
|Image Editing||Images enhance the readability of your PDF documents by providing visual breaks and supporting certain sections of text. PDF Expert lets you rotate, crop, and replace images in your PDF.|
|Electronic Signatures||Some PDF editors will let you insert, request, and track electronic signatures in your PDF document. PDF Expert only lets you insert an electronic signature.|
|Page Organization||Page organization can affect how people interpret your PDF’s content. PDF Expert lets you drag & drop your pages if you need to reorder them. You can also insert, rotate, delete pages, and extract pages to save as separate PDF files.|
|Freehand Drawing||Freehand drawing lets you write handwritten notes and markings on your PDF. PDF Expert lets you change the color, size, and opacity of your freehand drawing tool.|
|Mobile PDF Editor||A mobile PDF editor lets you create, edit, review, and manage your PDFs anywhere. PDF Expert lets you insert text, post-it notes, shapes, stamps, and your electronic signature. You can also freehand draw and search within your document.|
|Security Features||Proper security and data protection for your PDFs is critically important for your PDF editor. PDF Expert offers a wide variety of security features — including stamps, password protection, and sensitive information redaction.|
PDF Expert Competitor Overview: Features
The chart below shows you the main features found in PDF editor software, and ones offered by each solution. You’ll notice that many solutions offer the same features, therefore it’s important that when analyzing each option, you focus on the quality of each feature.
PDF Expert Competitor Overview: Pricing
PDF Expert’s pricing ranges from $12.49 per month to $99.99, which is a one-time payment. You can also save up to ~67% if you purchase the annual plan. PDF Expert also offers a 7-day free trial.
|PDF editor Software||Plan Pricing|
|Adobe Acrobat Pro DC|
Top PDF Expert Competitors
PDF Expert is an intermediate PDF editor platform. It’s best for individuals who prefer more of a mid-level solution for personal use. It is the most similar to PDFelement in terms of platform advancedness.
The top PDF Expert competitors are:
- Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
1. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is a feature-rich, advanced PDF editor solution. Compared to PDF Expert, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is best for large businesses who need strong team collaboration tools and have a larger budget. We also recommend it to those who also use Adobe products like Adobe Scan and Adobe Sign.
- You prefer an advanced solution
- You want a solution that lets you request electronic signatures
- You need to convert your PDFs into Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files
- You have a smaller budget
- You are an individual or small business
- You want free-hand drawing as a review and annotation tool
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is a robust PDF editor with over 37,000 customers. We recommend Adobe Acrobat DC for those who need a fully-featured, all-in-one PDF editor. We also recommend it to those who use other Adobe products like Adobe Sign and Adobe Scan.
pdfFiller is an advanced PDF editor solution that includes a wide range of review and annotation tools. Compared to PDF Expert, pdfFiller’s features are more robust, but the platform itself is more expensive. We recommend it to those who need a more advanced solution for personal use, and also use signNow.
- You prefer an advanced solution
- You want to convert your PDFs into Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files
- You want to insert e-signature fields and request e-signatures
- You want a slightly more affordable plan
- You want a PDF editor with less of a learning curve
- You want to easily replace images within your PDFs
pdfFiller is a feature-rich PDF editor with over 55 million customers. Overall, we recommend it to those with a larger budget, who prefer a more robust PDF editor and need a wide range of review and annotation tools. We also recommend it to those who use signNow.
Smallpdf is a basic PDF editor solution that works well for beginners. Compared to PDF Expert, Smallpdf is more affordable and more user-friendly. However, PDF Expert is slightly more feature-rich.
- You have a small budget
- You are a beginner when it comes to PDF editors
- You want to insert and track electronic signatures
- You prefer an intermediate solution
- You want a wider range of page organization tools
- You want to include stamps into your PDFs
Smallpdf is a basic PDF editor with over 500 million users. Overall, we recommend it for those with a smaller budget and prefer a beginner PDF editor platform.
4. PDF Expert
PDFelement is a well-rounded, intermediate PDF editor solution. Compared to PDF Expert, PDFelement is the most similar in terms of feature richness and robustness, however, PDFelement is slightly easier to use.
- You want a free PDF editor plan
- You want to create PDF templates
- You want to convert your PDFs into Word documents, PowerPoints, or Excel spreadsheets
- You want to create PDFs from a variety of document types — Word document, JPEGs, and PNGs
- You prefer to pay a monthly subscription
- You want to replace images in your PDF without it interfering with the rest of your content
PDFelement is a semi-robust PDF editor that has over 15 million users. Overall, we recommend it to those who want a PDF editor that is well-rounded and priced reasonably for those who want to long term invest in one.