Denticon vs. Open Dental: Compare Dental Practice Management Software
Denticon and Open Dental are both advanced practice management systems designed to optimize tasks that dental organizations perform daily. Deciding which option is the best fit for your practice is a difficult process. We compare the most important qualities of each software to help you decide which dental practice management system you should purchase.
Denticon vs. Open Dental Comparison Summary
Denticon and Open Dental are both popular practice management systems equipped with a robust set of customizable features. Your decision will likely come down to whether you want an open-source platform, your preference for a cloud or on-premise solution, and your budget.
- Denticon is the first and largest cloud-based practice management software.
- Open Dental is an affordable, open-source, on-premise practice management software.
For in-depth analysis of each practice management software, check out our reviews for Denticon and Open Dental.
|Practice Management Software||Who It's Best For|
Table of Contents
- Denticon vs. Open Dental Comparison Summary
- Denticon vs. Dentrix: Pricing
- Key Differences
- Denticon and Open Dental Product Overviews
- Bottom Line
Denticon vs. Open Dental: Pricing
Denticon and Open Dental are both powerful practice management tools that can help improve your practice. However, there are key differences that you should focus on to determine the best solution for you.
Open-source vs. Proprietary Software
Open Dental is the only open-source dental practice management software on the market today. Open-source software has a source code that is accessible, and can be modified & shared. Denticon’s source code is private, and does not offer an open API. Open-source practice management software provides several benefits.
- Highly integrated and customizable: Because the code source is available to users, Open Dental can be modified to integrate with most software and hardware. Also, Open Dental can be tailored to your own use cases and workflow. You can add different functionality, or remove unnecessary features.
- Full access to data: Open Dental gives you complete control of your data, which enables you to create custom reports and queries.
- Different financial motivations: Because Open Dental generates most of their revenue from support fees, they focus on providing exceptional customer support and frequent software updates.
As highlighted above, Open Dental is more affordable than Denticon:
- Denticon is $280 per month for one user & one location.
- Open Dental is $169 per month per location. After 12 consecutive months, it is reduced to $119 per month.
Since Open Dental is an open-source software company, its business model differs from other practice management vendors. With an open-source software company, the software is free, and you pay for support and software updates. As a result, Open Dental is incentivised to provide exceptional customer support.
Cloud-based vs. On-premise Systems
Denticon is a cloud-based system that is ideal for multi-location practices who want to consolidate data across their offices. Open Dental is an on-premise system that is installed locally on your own computers and servers. It is possible to connect Open Dental to the cloud through Amazon Web Service Middle Tier. However, it can be a convoluted process for the less tech savvy, and Open Dental does not offer IT support for cloud servers. Consider these benefits and disadvantages when deciding between cloud-based and on-premise systems.
Denticon and Open Dental Product Overviews
To support your evaluation process, we included detailed information on each solution below. We also link to our full reviews for each product.
Denticon is the most popular cloud-based practice management software on the market. It offers many advanced features, and is equipped with exceptional charting and reporting capabilities. Denticon is a better option than Open Dental, if you desire scalability and data consolidation across all your offices.
Open Dental is the best on-premise practice management software for single-location practices. It is more cost-effective than Denticon. Although Denticon’s reporting is highly customizable, Open Dental is open source which gives you complete control of data when creating custom reports and queries. Additionally, because Open Dental generates most of their revenue from support fees, they provide exceptional customer service and frequent software updates.
Both Denticon and Open Dental are advanced practice management systems that are widely used by dental professionals. Denticon is cloud-based, and ideal for practices that want to scale and consolidate data across all offices. Open Dental is open source, and best for practices who want a high degree of customizability and modularity.
- If you want the most popular, fully-featured cloud-based system, then your best option is Denticon
- If you want an open-source, on-premise system, go with Open Dental Open Dental