Is Dentrix or Open Dental the better solution for you? Learn the benefits and disadvantages of Dentrix Ascend, Dentrix G7, and Open Dental, and decide which practice management software is best for you.
Dentrix vs. Open Dental Comparison Summary
Dentrix Ascend, Dentrix G7, and Open Dental are three popular choices for dental practice management software. Dentists we speak to often ask about how to compare Dentrix vs. Open Dental. Here is an overview of the best practice management software for different types of practices.
|Practice Management Software
|Who It's Best For
Table of Contents
- Dentrix vs. Open Dental Comparison Summary
- Key Differences
- Dentrix and Open Dental Product Overviews
- Bottom Line
Dentrix vs. Open Dental: Pricing
As highlighted above, Open Dental is by far more affordable than the other options discussed in this article.
Cloud-based vs. On-premise Systems
A cloud-based system is a subscription-based service that uses off-site servers that you connect through the internet. An on-premise system is a license-based service that is installed on your own computers and servers.
Dentrix Ascend is the only cloud-based software discussed in this article. Dentrix G7 and Open Dental are on-premise software that can only be hosted on a local server network.
If you want to connect to the cloud with Open Dental, you can set up a cloud-hosted server with Amazon Web Service Middle Tier, and connect to an Open Dental server. Also, you can store documents and images on Dropbox. Open Dental does not offer IT support for implementing or maintaining cloud servers.
Open-source vs. Proprietary Software
Open Dental is the only open-source dental practice management software on the market today. Open-source software is a type of software where the source code is accessible, and can be modified and shared. All other practice management systems are closed, meaning the source code is private.
Here are some benefits of open-source practice management software:
- Highly integrated and customizable: Because the code source is available to users, Open Dental can be modified to integrate with most software and hardware. Also, Open Dental can be tailored to your own use cases and workflow. You can add different functionality, or remove unnecessary features.
- Full access to data: Open Dental gives you complete control of your data, which enables you to create custom reports and queries.
- Different financial motivations: Because Open Dental generates most of their revenue from support fees, they focus on providing exceptional customer support and frequent software updates.
Dentrix and Open Dental Product Overviews
Dentrix Ascend is an innovative, cloud-based practice management software used by over 20,000 customers. Cloud-based software has distinct advantages over on-premise options, such as consolidating data across all your offices, and simplifying the process of adding new locations to your practice.
It is a high quality system that offers many important features, but lacks many of the perks found in other software, such as robust patient engagement functionality. Because this is the first cloud-based option for market-leading Dentrix, we anticipate Dentrix Ascend will be the most popular cloud-based software in the future.
Dentrix G7 is the most popular on-premise practice management software on the market today. It is packed with features, and highly integrated with software & devices that you use. The downside of Dentrix G7 is its price point. It is one of the most expensive practice management solutions.
Because of its price, customizability, and customer-centric focus, Open Dental is the best on-premise practice management software for single-location practices. Open Dental is ideal for dentists who want affordable software that is highly customizable. It is more cost-effective than Dentrix Ascend or Dentrix G7. It is open source which gives you complete control of data, and allows for custom reports and queries. Additionally, because Open Dental generates most of their revenue from support fees, they provide exceptional customer service and frequent software updates.
Dentrix Ascend, Dentrix G7, and Open Dental are valuable dental practice management solutions used by tens of thousands of practices globally. They all have exceptional features to optimize charting, note-taking, scheduling, and billing. Modules are seamlessly integrated, so you don’t have to leave the software for most of your workflows.
However, each of these is best for specific dental practices. When choosing practice management software, keep these in mind:
- Dentrix Ascend is cloud-based, but has the least features.
- Dentrix G7 is a widely-used, feature-rich software, but is one of the most expensive practice management systems on the market.
- Open Dental is open source, customer-centric, and affordable, but it is not user friendly if you are not tech savvy.