The information in this article is based on our research, interviews with customers, as well as dozens of hours hand-testing each solution. The details of our review process and research methodology can be found in the Why You Should Trust Us section on our website builder category page.
Wix is one of the most popular website builder software solutions with over 200 million users. The platform is easy-to-use and feature-rich. We recommend Wix for beginner website creators and ecommerce store owners who need a robust platform with a very flexible website builder.
There are five website builder solutions that are worth considering before you purchase Wix. They differentiate based on feature quality, feature-richness, and ultimately the website creator type each is best suited for. Understanding these differences will determine how well a platform will integrate with your business.
- Squarespace is a powerful website builder that is intuitive and great for displaying visual work
- Weebly is strong, but is best for building simple websites
- WordPress is slightly more expensive, but is better able at building an advanced website through the installment of plugins
- Webflow is more expensive and less user-friendly, but is the best for designing a professional, complex website
- GoDaddy is a basic website builder with high quality in-platform digital marketing features
Here’s a breakdown of our review criteria. We rate each piece of software based on their features, usability, pricing, and customer support availability. Here is how Wix and Wix’s competitors rank in each category.
|Software Company||Analyst Rating||Features||Usability||Pricing||Customer Support|
In this article, we’ll provide an overview of Wix as a platform. Afterwards, we’ll compare and contrast Wix against its top competitors. If you’d like a full description of Wix, check out our in-depth Wix review.
Table of Contents
- Wix’s Top Features
- Wix Competitor Overview: Features
- Wix Competitor Overview: Pricing
- Top Wix Competitors
- Bottom Line
Wix’s Top Features
Wix offers all of the standard features needed to build professional, no-code websites and run smaller ecommerce businesses. This includes a drag & drop website builder, a WYSIWYG blog editor, ecommerce tools, marketing tools, and various performance analytics. Below, we describe the top 10 most important features in Wix.
|Drag & Drop Website Builder||Wix offers one of the most flexible drag & drop builders available. With it you can add over 20 types of site elements – including images, text, videos, buttons, social media icons, custom code, and forms. Unlike other solutions, Wix also offers grid lines that help you arrange your site elements symmetrically on screen.|
|WYSIWYG Blog Editor||A WYSIWYG blog editor lets you edit your content as it will appear when published. Wix lets you upload different types of multimedia into your blog posts – including images, video, code, and files. Wix also lets you tag your posts, optimize them for SEO, and edit their metatags.|
|Ecommerce Tools||Wix offers ecommerce tools that can help you manage your inventory, orders, and calculate your tax and shipping rates. Wix also includes information icons that define certain ecommerce terms that might be confusing for first time ecommerce business managers – for example, handling fees.|
|SEO Optimization||Wix offers a wide variety of tools that help optimize your pages for SEO. This includes sitemaps, a robots.txt file editor, site verification, a URL redirect manager, and SEO patterns.|
|Email Marketing||Wix lets you build basic email campaigns that can encourage visitors to consistently visit and interact with your website. When designing your email campaigns, you can start from scratch or use one of Wix’s templates. You can also insert different kinds of multimedia into your emails, including images, text, buttons, social media links, and videos.|
|Social Media Marketing||Wix includes an in-platform social media marketing tool that you can use to create still and video posts. For still posts, you can include images, text, and shapes. For videos, you can upload images, videos, and include text and business information. You can share these posts on platforms like Facebook and Instagram.|
|Wix App Market||The Wix App Market offers applications or integrations that can add or extend the functionality of your website. Wix currently offers over 250 applications for ecommerce, analytics, and SEO.|
|Traffic Analytics||Wix offers a dashboard that lets you view how your website is performing in terms of traffic. It lets you view your total site sessions, number of unique visitors, top referring sites, traffic by location, and average session duration. You can also view this information graphically in Wix.|
|Sales Analytics||If you choose to run your ecommerce business through Wix, you can view your sales information in a dashboard. With it you can view your total sales, total number of orders, average order value.|
|Mobile||Wix offers a mobile app that you can use to manage your website. Some of the functions that you can perform through Wix’s mobile app include writing blog posts, creating email marketing campaigns, and checking your sales and payment information.|
Wix Competitor Overview: Features
The chart below shows you the main features found in website builder software, and the solutions offered by each solution. We recommend paying attention to the kinds of ecommerce, and marketing tools each platform includes because this is where solutions differ the most from one another.
Wix Competitor Overview: Pricing
Considering Wix’s functionality, Wix’s pricing is very competitive. Even though it isn’t the cheapest tool available in the market, its feature-richness makes Wix worth the cost.
Wix’s website plan pricing starts at $14 per month, and its most expensive website plan costs $39 per month. Its most popular website plan, its Pro plan, costs $23 per month.
|Website Builder Software||Website Plan Pricing||Ecommerce Plan Pricing|
|Weebly||Performance: $29 per month|
|WordPress||Ecommerce: $59 per month|
|GoDaddy||Ecommerce: $29.99 per month|
Top Wix Competitors
Wix is most similar to Squarespace in terms of website design capabilities and Weebly in terms of ease of use. Overall, Wix is one of the most well-rounded platforms in terms of features, and can support beginner website creators and small ecommerce business owners.
The top Wix competitors are:
Squarespace is a popular website builder that helps its users create high-quality, design-forward websites. Its platform is intuitive enough for beginners and feature-rich enough for experienced users.
However, Wix is easier to use and offers a more flexible website builder when it comes to site element arrangement. Also, as you can see in the chart above, Wix includes marketing tools that are not available in Squarespace.
Read a direct comparison in our Wix vs. Squarespace article.
- You want to build your website from scratch
- You want a solution that is friendly for first-time website builders
- You want stronger SEO tools – including sitemaps, site verification, and a URL redirect manager
- You prioritize the visual aesthetic of their website
- You want higher quality traffic and sales analytics
- You want a mobile app that lets you edit your website
Squarespace is a website builder with one million paying customers. Its main features are highly customizable website builder, a WYSIWYG blog editor, ecommerce features, SEO customizations, email marketing, and traffic, sales, and engagement dashboards. Overall, Squarespace is the best solution for design-forward websites and displaying visual work.
Weebly is one of the easiest to use website builder solutions available in the market. It is cheaper than Wix and is a simpler platform. Overall, Weebly’s system is better for those who are beginning their website building and ecommerce business journey. It is also suitable for those who only need to build simple website pages.
To read a full one-to-one comparison between the two, check out our Wix vs. Weebly article.
- You want a builder that is better for website design
- You want higher quality SEO, email marketing, and social media marketing tools
- You want more control over the organization and distribution of your blog posts
- You want a more affordable website builder platform
- You want to build more basic, yet effective websites
- You want higher quality traffic and sales analytics – i.e. more data points
Weebly is a website builder solution that supports over 50 million websites. It offers an easy to use website builder, a WYSIWYG blog editor, ecommerce tools, email marketing tools, and analytics dashboards. Weebly is one of the most user-friendly solutions available in the market and best for beginner website creators and ecommerce store owners.
WordPress is one of the most popular website builder solutions in the market. Compared to Wix, WordPress is better for intermediate website creators.
However, WordPress is less user-friendly and not as robust in terms of native features. If you want to customize your website’s functionality through plugins, however, WordPress is the better choice for you.
- You want greater design flexibility – i.e. you don’t want your site elements restricted to a grid layout
- You want a solution that is friendly for first-time website builders
- You want stronger native SEO tools – including sitemaps, site verification, and a URL redirect manager
- You have more experience building websites
- You want higher quality traffic and sales analytics
- You want to customize your platform through the installment of plugins
WordPress is a website builder that supports over 75 million websites. Its main features include a robust website builder, a WYSIWYG blog editor, ecommerce tools, an extensive library of plugins, SEO tools, and several analytics dashboard. Overall, while not the most user-friendly, WordPress gives you more control over your website's design and functionality than other solutions.
Webflow is an advanced website building platform that gives you the most control over your website’s design. However, Wix is easier to use, more affordable, and more feature-rich.
As a result, we recommend that experienced website creators and designers who need a solution to create complex websites use Webflow.
- You want a more affordable, and easy-to-use website builder platform
- You want a better blogging features – i.e. a WYSIWYG blog editor, and enabling comments
- You want in-platform social media and email marketing tools
- You want an advanced website builder with Photoshop level customizability – including editing borders, padding, and adding drop shadows
- You want automatic tax calculations
Webflow is a website building platform with over 200,000 users. It offers feature including the most customizable website builder, a blog editor, ecommerce functionality, and SEO tools. It is best for designers and experienced users who want the most creative control over their website's design.
GoDaddy is a basic website builder platform that offers high quality in-platform digital marketing tools. However, when compared to Wix, GoDaddy is not as feature-rich. Also, GoDaddy’s website builder is not drag & drop and has low usability.
Overall, we recommend choosing Wix over GoDaddy because it is a better platform and not that much more expensive.
- You want a drag & drop website builder that gives you more control over your website’s design
- You want more advanced traffic analytics – i.e. more data points
- You want to enhance your website’s functionality through application integrations
- You want a more affordable, basic solution
- You want higher quality SEO, social media, and email marketing tools
- You want higher quality customer support and a wider range of customer support channels – including live chat and a community forum
GoDaddy is a website building software with over 20 million users. Its main features include a website builder, a WYSIWYG blog editor, ecommerce functionality, SEO tools, social media tools, email marketing, and analytics reports. Overall, GoDaddy is one of the more user-friendly solutions available and offers better digital marketing tools than those found in other solutions.
Wix is a user friendly website builder that provides the best value in terms of features offered. It gives you a lot of control over your website’s design, and is more powerful than its cheaper competitors. We recommend Wix for beginner website creators and small businesses who need a more robust tool than Weebly and GoDaddy.
Here’s a quick recap of who we recommend each website-builder software for:
- If you’re looking for a platform that is great for displaying visual work and prefer to use templates when design your website, then we recommend Squarespace
- If you’re beginning your website building journey and want to create basic, but effective website pages, then we recommend looking into Weebly
- If you’re an intermediate website creator that wants full control over the customization of your website’s functionality through plugins, then we recommend looking into WordPress
- If you’re an experienced website creator, and need an advanced builder that lets you edit your website pages with Photoshop level customizability, then we recommend looking into Webflow
- If you need a basic website builder platform and want powerful in-platform digital marketing tools, then we recommend looking into GoDaddy