AbacusLaw vs. Amicus Cloud
Legal practice management software helps law firms automate tasks and increase revenue. There are a vast array of legal solutions available on the market today, and making the right choice can be challenging.
We created a guide comparing AbacusLaw versus Amicus Cloud, two popular legal practice management solutions, to simplify the purchasing process. We offer an in-depth comparison of both platforms, and highlight their unique features, to help determine which solution is best for your law firm.
We researched and extensively tested both AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud. Both are both popular legal practice management solutions that are offered by legal technology provider, AbacusNext. These solutions both offer features that help law firms maximize billable hours and increase revenue. These features include a calendar, case management, time tracking, online payments, and reporting.
AbacusLaw received a SoftwarePundit Analyst Rating of 81 while Amicus Cloud received a rating of 67.
Although AbacusLaw is slightly less affordable, it is far more robust than Amicus Cloud. Additionally, there are several key differentiators that make each solution more suitable for different customer segments.
- AbacusLaw is an on-premise solution that includes a full accounting package. It is a robust solution that is ideal for law firms with more than 5 firm members.
- Amicus Cloud is a cloud-based solution that integrates with QuickBooks. It is a lightweight solution that can support up to 5 firm members.
Here's a breakdown of our review criteria and how AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud performed in each category:
|Criteria||Analyst Rating||Features||Usability||Pricing||Customer Support|
When comparing the two, it's important to focus on the specific tools offered by each vendor, and the corresponding subscription price. Here's a quick test to determine which solution is best for you:
- Your law firm has more than 5 firm members
- You desire a robust on-premise solution
- You desire built-in accounting in your solution
- Your law firm has less than 5 firm members
- You desire a lightweight cloud-based solution
- QuickBooks integration is a must-have feature
Table of Contents
- Comparison Summary
- AbacusLaw & Amicus Cloud Price Comparison
- AbacusLaw & Amicus Cloud Feature Comparison
- Bottom Line
AbacusLaw & Amicus Cloud Price Comparison
AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud are both subscription-based services that charge a monthly fee to access their platforms. AbacusLaw is the more expensive solution, starting at $69.99 per user per month. Amicus Cloud starts at $59 per user per month.
AbacusLaw Pricing Details
AbacusLaw pricing starts at $69.99 per user per month. If you would like to host AbacusLaw off-site on AbacusNext’s cloud servers, you can purchase a subscription to Abacus Private Cloud for an additional $250 to $300 per user per month.
Amicus Cloud Pricing Details
Amicus Cloud pricing starts at $59 per user per month for monthly contracts. Amicus Cloud charges $49 per user per month if billed annually.
AbacusLaw & Amicus Cloud Feature Comparison
AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud offer similar functionality, and include important features such as a calendar, case management, time tracking, online payments, and reporting. However, there are important differentiating features to consider before making your purchase.
- AbacusLaw is a robust on-premise solution that includes an accounting suite.
- Amicus Cloud is a lightweight cloud-based solution that integrates with QuickBooks
For a full analysis of their features, read our AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud reviews.
|Time and expense tracking||Yes||Yes|
|Billing and invoicing||Yes||Yes|
|Online Client Portal||Yes||Yes|
AbacusLaw's Unique Features
AbacusLaw offers several features not found in Amicus Cloud. It's important to understand the features below to determine if AbacusLaw is ideal for your business.
If you desire an on-premise legal practice management solution, AbacusLaw is your only option. AbacusLaw is hosted on physical servers in your building. You are responsible for managing your own servers, and you will likely need to hire IT staff for ongoing maintenance & updates.
If you want to host AbacusLaw on cloud servers, you can subscribe to the Abacus Private Cloud. However, this service costs $250 to $300 per user per month, making it one of the least affordable options available on the market today. If you desire a cloud-based solution, we strongly recommend testing Amicus Cloud.
AbacusLaw is the only solution that includes a full accounting suite. AbacusLaw is a better option than Amicus Cloud for your law firm if:
- You want to minimize your number of software systems
- Your law firm employs in-house accountants
Amicus Cloud's Unique Features
Amicus Cloud offers several features not found in AbacusLaw. It's important to understand the features below to determine if Amicus Cloud is ideal for your business.
Amicus Cloud is a cloud-based legal practice management solution, and can be accessed by computer or mobile device. Servers are located off-site, and do not require any maintenance.
You can host AbacusLaw on cloud servers for an additional monthly fee of $250 to $300 per user. This additional cost makes AbacusLaw far less affordable than Amicus Cloud, and makes Amicus Cloud the best option if you desire a cloud-based solution.
Amicus Cloud is the only solution that integrates with QuickBooks. Important items such as trust transactions, bill adjustments, payments, and retainers are synchronized in real time. Amicus Cloud is a better option than AbacusLaw for your law firm if:
- Your accountants prefer using QuickBooks
- You outsource your accounting to a third-party firm
AbacusLaw and Amicus Cloud are two popular legal practice management solutions offered by AbacusNext. These solutions are priced similarly, and offer a variety of useful features including a calendar, case management, time tracking, online payments, and reporting.
The best solution for you will likely depend on the size of your law firm and your feature preferences.
- If your law firm has more than 5 firm members, and desires a cloud-based solution that includes a built-in accounting suite, AbacusLaw is the best solution for you.
- If your law firm has less than 5 firm members, and desires a lightweight on-premise solution, then consider testing Amicus Cloud
If you’re interested, visit AbacusLaw or Amicus Cloud today to get started.