Legal software helps legal professionals grow their law firms. There is a wide variety of legal solutions on the market today, and determining the best system for you can be complicated.
We crafted a guide comparing AbacusLaw versus Bill4Time to simplify your purchasing process. We offer a walkthrough of each product, and highlight unique features, to help you pick the best legal solution for you.
AbacusLaw and Bill4Time are both popular legal solutions that are used by thousands of legal professionals. Both offer key features you would expect in this type of software including case management, time tracking, billing, online payments, and reporting.
Although similar in functionality, AbacusLaw and Bill4Time have several key differences.
- AbacusLaw is an on-premise legal practice management solution that offers built-in accounting tools. AbacusLaw is the more robust option, but only supports Windows.
- Bill4Time is a cloud-based legal time tracking and billing solution. Bill4Time is the more lightweight option, and supports Mac OS and Windows.
When comparing the two, it's important to focus on the specific tools offered by each vendor, and the corresponding subscription price. Here's a quick test to determine which solution is best for you:
- You favor on-premise software
- You desire the more robust solution
- You desire built-in accounting
- You favor cloud-based software
- You use Mac OS
- QuickBooks integration is a must-have feature
Table of Contents
- Comparison Summary
- AbacusLaw & Bill4Time Price Comparison
- AbacusLaw & Bill4Time Feature Comparison
- Bottom Line
AbacusLaw & Bill4Time Price Comparison
AbacusLaw and Bill4Time both charge monthly subscription fees to access their platforms. In general, Bill4Time is the more affordable solution depending on the subscription plan you choose. AbacusLaw pricing starts at $69.99 per user per month, and Bill4Time pricing ranges from $29 to $89 per month.
AbacusLaw Pricing Details
AbacusLaw pricing starts at $69.99 per user per month. If you would like to host AbacusLaw off-site on AbacusNext’s cloud servers, you can purchase a subscription to Abacus Private Cloud for an additional $250 to $300 per user per month.
Bill4Time Pricing Details
Bill4Time pricing ranges from $29 to $89 per month. The company offers a 7% to 10% discount for annual contracts that are paid upfront. Here’s an overview of Bill4Time’s pricing plans:
- Time and billing plan: $29 per user per month
- Legal pro plan: $49 per user per month
- Legal enterprise plan: $89 per user per month
AbacusLaw & Bill4Time Feature Comparison
AbacusLaw and Bill4Time are both legal solutions that offer key features that law firms need. These features include case management, time tracking, billing, online payments, and reporting. Although there is an overlap between the two solutions, there are unique features that differentiate these platforms.
- AbacusLaw offers robust legal practice management features and includes built-in accounting. Additionally, AbacusLaw is an on-premise solution, and only supports Windows.
- Bill4Time specializes in time tracking and billing, and offers lightweight practice management features. Also, Bill4Time is a cloud-based solution that supports both Mac OS and Windows.
|Mac OS support||No||Yes|
|Time and expense tracking||Yes||Yes|
|Billing and invoicing||Yes||Yes|
AbacusLaw's Unique Features
AbacusLaw offers several features not found in Bill4Time. It's important to understand the features below to determine if AbacusLaw is ideal for your business.
AbacusLaw is an on-premise solution that is hosted on self-managed servers that are located on-site. Conversely, Bill4Time is a cloud-based solution that is accessible through most devices with internet connectivity. If you prefer on-premise legal software, AbacusLaw is the only option for you.
AbacusLaw is an all-in-one legal practice management solution that includes built-in accounting software on its platform. In contrast, major accounting tasks can not be performed in Bill4Time, and you will likely need to purchase a third-party accounting solution. If you prefer working with less software vendors, AbacusLaw is an attractive choice.
Bill4Time's Unique Features
Bill4Time offers several features not found in AbacusLaw. It's important to understand the features below to determine if Bill4Time is ideal for your business.
Bill4Time is a cloud-based solution that can be accessed remotely by browser or mobile device. In contrast, AbacusLaw is an on-premise solution that relies on servers that are located on site. The primary advantage of cloud-based solutions is that they do not require maintenance or updates.
It is possible to host AbacusLaw on cloud servers through the Abacus Private Cloud. However, a subscription to the Abacus Private Cloud costs $250 to $300 per user per month, which would make this solution far more expensive than Bill4Time.
Mac OS Support
Because Bill4Time is a cloud-based solution that supports any browser, this solution can be used on both Windows and Mac operating systems. In contrast, AbacusLaw only supports Windows. If your law firm uses Mac OS, Bill4Time is the best option for you.
Bill4Time integrates with third-party accounting solution, QuickBooks. In contrast, AbacusLaw offers built-in accounting software, and does not include a QuickBooks integration. If your law firm currently uses QuickBooks, Bill4Time is your best option.
AbacusLaw and Bill4Time are two widely-adopted legal solutions that are suitable for solo to medium sized law firms. Both solutions offer features that help legal professionals grow their businesses including case management, time tracking, billing, online payments, and reporting. AbacusLaw is a more robust solution, and offers all major legal practice management and accounting features. Bill4Time is the more lightweight and affordable solution that specializes in time tracking and billing.
- If you prefer an all-in-one on-premise legal practice management solution that includes built-in accounting, AbacusLaw is the best solution for you.
- If you desire a cloud-based legal time tracking and billing solution that supports Mac OS and integrates with QuickBooks, we recommend Bill4Time for your law firm.